In this series, we investigate the sustainability efforts of leading brands in their respective industries to help you make more eco-friendly purchasing decisions
The pioneer of quartz surfaces, Caesarstone is arguably the biggest brand name when it comes to countertops. Caesarstone’s high-quality and always on-trend stone is the top tier for kitchen countertops, vanity tops, flooring, wall cladding and general interior design.
If you’re in the market for quartz countertops and want to make sure you’re making a planet-friendly choice, here are some key points on the 35-year-old brand's sustainability efforts and ethics.CaesarstoneCaesarstone products and practices drive human responsibility towards the environment and society by creating a connection with nature from the heart of the home. The brand's sustainability vision draws upon its commitment to people, accountability and innovation, with sustainability goals centred around:
- Sustainable products – committed to developing environmentally friendly and low-silica products with a lifetime warranty
- Environmentally responsible production – committed to reducing carbon footprint, reducing styrene emissions, reducing water use and waste, and increasing the use of renewable energy.
- Health and safety – committed to keeping employees and industry safe through raising awareness of safety practices
- Social responsibility – committed to acting in a socially responsible manner and having a positive impact across the value chain, including employees, suppliers, customers and communities.
The brand is committed to minimizing its impact on the environment, striving to create durable, low-maintenance surfaces that contribute to a healthier environment and better use of material resources. When looking for a sustainable countertop, look for:
- Low-maintenance – Caesarstone surfaces require minimal maintenance, significantly reducing the need for harmful sealants, cleaning materials & detergents.
- High performance and durability – Caesarstone quartz is long-lasting and durable, supporting a healthier environment and better use of material resources.
- Low-emitting materials – Caesarstone surfaces meet strict material mission standards for a minimal impact on indoor air quality. All Caesarstone products are independently certified by the GREENGUARD Certification.
- Hygienic surfaces – All Caesarstone surfaces are non-porous, non-toxic and germ-resistant, inhibiting the growth of mildew and bacteria.
CaesarstoneIn addition to the sustainability of the product itself, it is also important to take into account the brand's overall commitment to sustainability and social responsibility when choosing a countertop for your kitchen, bathroom or outdoor space.
Caesarstone works with leading sustainability organizations in the green building sector as part of its sustainability program. The brand's certifications for their manufacturing sites and products support consumers' needs for green and healthy building products and contribute to green building projects. In addition to GREENGUARD, Caesarstone holds the following certifications:
- ISO 1400 – a global standard for environmental protection
- ISO 9001 – a quality management standard
- GREENGUARD GOLD – evaluates the sensitive nature of school populations combined with the unique building characteristics found in schools
- CE – indicates conformity with health, safety, and environmental protection standards.
- Scientific Certification Systems -– certified for recycled content, some Caesarstone products are made from pre-consumer recycled raw materials, such as mirror and glass or high-quality reclaimed post-production waste from the fabrication process
- NSF51 – international sanitary standard ensures all Caesarstone surfaces are safe for use in all food environments
In addition to the above-mentioned certifications, Caesarstone is committed to improving the communities they operate in. Most recently, Caesarstone has been named the official surface provider for the Princess Margaret Home Lottery to Conquer Cancer. Check out the Fall 2021 Princess Margaret Home Lottery Grand Prize Showhome in Oakville here.
We always recommend you do you own research to make sure you understand all the certifications and claims of any company you work with.