Cook up some energizing, cold-weather comfort food
Seafood is a flavourful, low-fat protein that provides a much-needed break from rich dishes at this time of year—and choosing sustainably sourced seafood is essential to ensuring the health of our oceans and, in return, allowing us to enjoy our favourite dishes for many years to come.
When looking to get your hands on sustainably sourced seafood, try ordering from independents such as Organic Ocean, which delivers a large variety of responsibly caught frozen items straight to your door. And don’t let the word “frozen” put you off. Organic Ocean only fishes during specific times of the year when it doesn't negatively impact wild fish populations. After processing their catch, it is immediately frozen to ensure it stays at the height of freshness until thawing—meaning the fish you get frozen is no different than it is straight off the line.
In this recipe, warming spices and aromatics infuse the prawns while they cook and a tangy dill aioli for dipping carries it home.
- 1 lb of sustainably caught prawns, shells on
- 8 cups of water
- 1 medium onion, cut in half
- 1 head of garlic, top cut off to expose cloves
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon whole mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon whole cloves
- ½ teaspoon whole all spice
- 2 bay leaves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Add all ingredients except the prawns and lemon juice to a large pot.
- Bring up to a rolling boil and then let boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add prawns and lemon juice and cover with lid. Let prawns sit in infused liquid for 2 minutes.
- Drain prawns, set aside and let cool before topping with lemon zest and serving alongside dill mayonnaise.
DILL MAYONNAISE INGREDIENTS
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon smooth Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup fresh chopped dill
- A generous pinch salt
- A generous pinch freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- 1-1½ cups lightly flavoured vegetable oil (light tasting olive oil or canola oil)
- juice of 1 lemon
- In large bowl, whisk Dijon, egg yolks, salt and pepper and chili flakes.
- While whisking, slowly begin to drizzle in oil. Keep doing so until mixture becomes a thicker dressing or mayonnaise-y consistency.
- Once desired thickness, whisk in lemon juice (this will thin it out just a bit and chopped dill.
This can also be done in a food processor:
- Combine all ingredients except for the oil and lemon juice in a food processor.
- Pulse until well combined.
- While pulsing, slowly drizzle in oil until mixture has thickened before adding lemon juice.
Happily serves 2 as a main or 4 as an appetizer