Try Fable Diner’s vegan bowl at home for a delicious lunch or dinner that's packed with veggies
With more and more people turning to a plant-based diet, we’ve added more vegetarian—and in this case vegan—dishes to our menu. We try to make as much of our product in house, and have created this savoury comforting dish that has become a staple at the diner.
- 2 cups vegetable broth (We make a mushroom broth from dried shiitake mushrooms; however, any low-sodium broth will do.)
- 25 ml white miso paste
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha
- 20 g white rice flour (can use cornstarch as a substitute)
- Salt to taste
- Put aside 45 ml of the stock and pour the rest into a pot. Bring it to a boil then take it off the heat.
- Mix in miso then put pot back on stove and simmer. Add remaining ingredients except rice flour and the stock you’ve set aside.
- Add rice flour to the remaining stock to make a slurry then pour into pot. Stir until you get the consistency you wish, which should take about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Taste and season with salt as needed.
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 20 ml apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tahini paste
- 1/4 cup white miso paste
- 2 tablespoon water
- 90 ml of grapeseed oil (any neutral oil will do)
- Place all ingredients except oil in a blender and mix until smooth.
- Slowly drizzle in oil while blending and set aside.
- 200 g cremini mushrooms
- 400 g cauliflower
- 1 bunch kale cut into bite-sized pieces
- 200 g broccolini
- 100 g cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 2 cups brown rice*
- 1 tablespoon of toasted sesame seeds
- 1 green onion
- Slice mushrooms and cut cauliflower and broccolini into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat a skillet to medium-high and add oil. Sautée broccolini, cauliflower and mushrooms until cooked (5 to 7 minutes). Add kale and cherry tomatoes and turn down the heat to medium.
- Add your gravy to the pan and cover. Let steam for approximately 5 minutes or until heated through.
- At the same time, you can cook your rice. I like to rinse the rice and then cook it in a pot with cold water one inch above the rice. Bring it to a boil and then turn down to a simmer and cover until water is gone. Take off heat and leave covered for 15 minutes to let steam.
BUILDING THE BOWL
- Make a base of the rice in your favourite bowl.
- Spoon the vegetable mixture onto the rice.
- Use a spoon or a squeeze bottle to add the drizzle on top of the vegetable mixture.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds and then garnish with finely chopped green onion.
*NOTE: We serve this dish on a bed of roasted potatoes instead of rice at the restaurant; however, the rice may be a bit easier to do at home.