This aromatic veggie dish is a great way to enjoy in-season carrots
Recipe provided by the Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts
CINNAMON/BROWN SUGAR GLAZE
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, freshly grated
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 piece star anise
- 1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp Korean chili paste (gochujang, available in Asian supermarkets)
- 3 tbsp of water
- Melt butter in a warm pan. Add ginger and garlic and let sweat until fragrant.
- Add brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- Add apple cider vinegar, Korean chili paste, water and star anise.
- Cook on low for 15 to 20 minutes until mixture is a syrupy consistency. If needed, add a bit more water to ensure mixture cooks for a full 15 to 20 minutes in order for flavours to develop.
- Remove star anise and set glazing liquid aside
- 2 bunches baby carrots
- 2 tbsp oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Cut carrots lengthwise in half and toss in oil. For visual interest, you can use different coloUred carrots.
- Roast the carrots in oven until tender, about 15 to 20 depending on thickness.
- To serve, re-heat glaze in a pan, toss carrots generously with glaze until warmed through and glazed is evenly distributed.