This vegan sandwich combines your favourite parts of egg, tuna and chicken salad
Loaded with creamy chickpea filling, including sweet apple, crunchy celery and tangy capers, you’ll eat this dish so quickly that you’ll forget it’s all legumes.
- 1 398 ml can chickpeas, drained and rinsed. (Reserve aquafaba for use in other recipes such as these)
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- ¼ cup red onion, finely diced
- 1/3 cup of sweet apple, small diced
- ¼ of capers or chopped pickle
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp of nori flakes (optional)
- 4 tbsp of vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp sea salt or salt and pepper to taste
- Butter lettuce and cucumbers
- 4 sandwich buns
Susan Cooks VeganINSTRUCTIONS
- In a large bowl, mash the chickpeas with a fork or potato masher until flaked in texture. Stir in the celery, onion, apple, capers and garlic and nori flakes (if using).
- In a small bowl whisk together vegan mayo, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar and salt and pepper. Add to chickpea mixture and stir until thoroughly mixed. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- To serve, open the centre of the buns, add a large scoop of chickpea salad to one half. Top with butter lettuce and serve with sides of spiralled cucumber.
Prep time: 15 minutes; total time: 15 minutes; yield: 4 sandwiches