This vegan sandwich mix is excellent served in lettuce cups, between two pieces of bread, or open-faced with some vegan cheese, “tuna” melt-style
I make a lot of vegan versions of meat sandwiches with chickpeas and soy curls—which you could use here—but jackfruit does a great job at imitating tuna.
Incorporate all the same things you’d put into a tuna salad (red onion, celery, lemon, etc.) and use the dressing to refine the taste to your liking.Christine McAvoy
- 1 can of young jackfruit in brine (not syrup)
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup vegan mayo
- 1 to 2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- A sheet of nori, crumbled finely (optional)
- Dash of cayenne (optional)
- Drain the jackfruit and rinse, then press with a tea towel to remove as much of the water as possible.
- In a small pan, cook the jackfruit, mashing with a fork until crumbly. While you do this, sprinkle some of the Old Bay Seasoning on it.
- After a few minutes, remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, add the vegan mayo, garlic powder, lemon juice, celery and red onion—and the cayenne and nori if you are using them.
- Stir together and taste for seasoning, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in the jackfruit until fully combined and taste again. You can add more of the Old Bay or other seasonings as you see fit.
- Cover and place in the fridge to cool until ready to serve.
Makes 2 to 3 sandwiches