Plant-based sausage patties are the perfect addition to a hearty vegan brunch
Some mornings call for a really big breakfast—and these breakfast patties fit in beautifully with a tofu scramble and some roasted potatoes. I like to make them for brunch, or on a camping trip, while sipping on my hot cup of tea. They’re loaded with so much flavour and spice, I guarantee you won’t miss the meat.
- 2 cans of black beans
- 1 small onion
- 1 red pepper
- 6 cloves garlic
- Fresh rosemary
- Fresh sage
- Fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon of paprika (or other spice, optional)
- 2 flax eggs (instructions here)
- Bread crumbs (optional)
- Cooking oil
- Make your flax eggs.
- Roughly chop and de-seed your pepper, peel and quarter your onion, and peel your garlic. Add ingredients into a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Remove and place into a large bowl.
- Add the black beans into the processor and blend until almost a paste, then place into the bowl with the pepper-onion-and-garlic mixture.
- Chop your fresh rosemary, sage and thyme and add to the bowl with some salt and pepper. (This is also great to sprinkle over potatoes if you’re having them.)
- Mix ingredients together with your hands, then add in the flax eggs and mix until combined. (If the mixture doesn’t hold together fully, add some bread crumbs or oat flour.)
- Divide into equal parts of desired size. Roll then press flat.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry until both sides are nicely browned.
- If you have leftovers, try making a breakfast burrito or hash the next day.
Makes approximately 8 to 10 sausages