A Mother’s Day charcuterie board is the perfect afternoon snack or pre-dinner meal for mom
If you’re looking for a vegan alternative, or wanting to try something new, try this Blueberry Sage Tofu Cheezeball, made with frozen blueberries and no animal products.
BLUEBERRY COMPOTE INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 5 large fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp organic cane sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
TOFU CHEEZE INGREDIENTS
- 1 block (350g) extra firm tofu, drained and patted dry
- 1/3 cup refined coconut oil*, melted
- 1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- In a small saucepan, bring all blueberry compote ingredients to a boil over medium heat.
- Once at a boil, turn heat down to low and simmer until mixture has reduced to 1/4 cup. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Once thickened, remove from the heat and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- While compote is cooling, blend all tofu cheeze ingredients in a food processor until a smooth paste forms.
- Transfer the tofu cheeze mixture into a medium mixing bowl. Dollop the compote over the tofu cheeze then use a spoon to gently swirl the compote into the cheeze. Avoid overmixing to retain the pretty swirls of colour.
- Stack two layers of plastic wrap on a large surface. Scrape half of the tofu cheeze into the centre of the wrap. Carefully gather the corners of the plastic wrap and twist them together to seal the cheeze. Gently shape into a ball. Repeat this step with the second half of the tofu cheeze.
- Chill the tofu cheezeballs in the refrigerator for at least four hours, ideally overnight, before serving.
Yields: Two four-inch cheezeballs; Vegan
*Refined coconut oil is odourless and ideal for this recipe. However, if you don’t mind a coconutty cheese, regular coconut oil will also work.