Enjoy the taste of apple pie anytime you want without having to worry about the pastry
You can add this apple-pie-inspired toast topping to any breakfast or brunch item; however, it’s perfect when warmed up and spooned on top of a hot piece of buttered toast on a weekend morning. You can also use it to fill crepes or top French toast. Easily double or triple to use up as many apples as you can.
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 apples, peeled, cored and cut into medium-sized pieces
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ tablespoon water + ½ tablespoon cornstarch
- Melt butter in medium-sized saucepan on medium-high heat.
- Let butter come up to a bubble and slightly brown before adding apples, lemon juice, sugar, water, cinnamon and pinch of nutmeg.
- Let simmer and bubble for a few minutes, until sugar has dissolved and apples are fork tender.
- Mix together ½ tbsp of cornstarch and water in a small bowl and gently stir into boiling apple mixture.
- Let bubble for another minute to let thicken.
- Once thickened, take off heat and let cool slightly before using.
- If saving for a later date, let cool completely before adding to airtight container and refrigerating for up to 5 days.