Three plant-based dishes that even the kids will enjoy for back-to-school lunches
Reducing your meat and dairy consumption is easy with these tasty vegan meal suggestions from Spread’ Em Kitchen Co. nut-based cheeses.
1. Bánh Mì
- 2 soft sub rolls
- 4 to 6 plant-based smoked deli slices
- 2 tbsp of Spread 'Em Kitchen Co. cultured soft cheeze of your choice
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, spiralized
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- ½ cup warm water
- 2 green onion stems
- ¼ chopped cilantro
- Few lettuce leaves
- 6 to 8 slices of Spread 'Em Kitchen Co. The Big Smoke cheeze
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced Sriracha sauce to taste
- Stir the warm water and sugar in a medium bowl, until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the vinegar and spiralized carrots.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Split the bread in half lenghtwise.
- Spread the sides with the soft cashew cream cheeze.
- Layer in the deli slices, lettuce, smoked cheeze and cucumbers. 4. Drain the pickles and stuff in plenty of those.
- Add thinly sliced cucumber, chopped green onion and cilantro. 6. Add a few splashes of sriracha sauce (optional).
Makes 2 sandwiches; Prep time 15 min; pickling 1 hour
2. Vegan Mac & Cheese
- 1 cup (grated) Spread 'Em Kitchen Co. The Classic cheeze
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tbsp Spread 'Em Kitchen Co. cashew buttery spread
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 cup elbow macaroni pasta 1/2 cup panko crumbs
- A few sprigs of thyme
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cook pasta according to directions on packaging until it is almost done.
3. While the pasta cooks, melt 2 tbsp of butter in a skillet. Add the flour and stir over medium heat until the mixture is lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the milk and whisk continuously to remove any lumps. Add onion powder, the salt and pepper and thyme. Cook over medium-high heat until the sauce thickens and starts to bubble.
4. Gradually stir in the cheese and whisk until smooth and melted. Turn off the heat.
5. When the pasta is almost done, drain it and stir the pasta into the sauce. Transfer to a baking dish.
6. Melt 1 tbsp of butter and stir in the panko crumbs. Sprinkle the crumbs over the dish and bake until golden and bubbly, for about 20 to 25 minutes.
Serves 3; Prep time: 15 mins: Cook time: 20 mins
3. Classic Naan Tomato Pizza
- Half of Spread 'Em Kitchen Co. The Classic cheeze
- 2 pieces of naan bread
- 150 g tomatoes
- 4 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- Salt and pepper few basil leaves
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Spread the tomato paste evenly on both naans.
- Sprinkle over the oregano and thyme.
- Break the cheeze into small one-inch pieces and place them on top of tomato sauce.
- Slice the tomatoes in half and arrange them on top and next to the cheeze pieces.
- Cook for 8-15 minutes until the cheeze is melted.
- Chop the basil leaves and sprinkle over the pizza before serving.
Makes 2 pizzas; prep time 15 mins; cook time 10 mins
Spread 'Em Kitchen Co. nut cheeses are widely available at grocery stores across Canada.